These instructions will help you to prepare a typical translation with Across.
The following example has been greatly condensed and simplified in order to provide you an initial impression of the translation work with Across.
- Proceed as follows:
- In the module bar on the left-hand side, click crossBoard > My Tasks.
- Select the translation task that was assigned to you and that you would like to work on.
- If you have not yet confirmed the task, click Confirm/Reject below and proceed with the steps for confirming a task as usual.
- Open the translation task.
crossDesk will open up, displaying your translation task. When opening your task, the first paragraph to be translated is automatically activated.Tip
In this example, carrying out a translation task in crossDesk will be explained from the perspective of the Combi Mode.
- Now type in your translation in the Target Editor.
- Insert any crossTerm hits in the Target Editor with a double-click.
- Once you have finished translating the first paragraph, click the icon to set it to the editing state Translated.
The change of the editing state to Translated implies that the segments contained in the translated paragraph have been saved to crossTank.
- If you have started working on a paragraph, but have not yet finished it, you can set it to the editing state Touched ().
- Go to the next paragraph to be translated (with or Alt+Down Arrow).
- Translate the next paragraph.
In this example, the sentence is highlighted in green. This indicates the existence of a matching translation in crossTank. The color indicates the match quota, which is the degree of similarity between the active sentence and the crossTank entry.
- To use a crossTank entry in your translation, you can insert the respective entry in the Target Editor with a double-click.
As soon as all paragraphs in the document have been set to the editing state Translated, the task is completed. The dialog box for finishing the task automatically appears. A list of the QM criteria that have been checked shows which criteria have not been met. As a matter of principle, you can finish a task even if some QM criteria have not been met (unless mandatory criteria are concerned).
- Determine whether the translations are to be saved to crossTank (recommended) or not.
- To finish the task now, click Finish Task.Tip
Please note that a finished task can only be opened in read-only mode, meaning that it is write-protected, and thus you cannot edit the task any further.
If you selected the option for storing the translations to crossTank in the preceding dialog window, the Store Translations Wizard will open up.
- Click Next.
- When using the Offline Client of the Across Translator Premium Edition, you can select whether the translation units are to be stored to your local crossTank database.Tip
If you store translation units locally, they will be available in all modes and tasks, i.e. both in the Offline Client and in the standalone mode.
Please note that the storage and use of such translation units may be restricted or prevented by your customer.
- If necessary, determine the attributes and their values with which the translation units are to be stored.
- Click Next.
- Select what Across is to do when storing paragraphs.
- Click Save.
If you selected the option to show a dialog for every paragraph or for paragraphs with an unequal number of source and target segment sentences in the preceding window, dialog windows may be displayed during the storage process.
- Duly process the individual dialogs:
- Click Join all to store all matches as a single translation unit.
- To correct the translation unit(s) manually, select the sentence(s) in the source and target segments that belong to one translation unit and click Add match in order to join the sentences to one translation unit.
Continue in the same way until all sentences have been mapped.
Click Remove Match to realign the source and target segments.
When you are finished, click Save Paragraph.
A dialog will show the progress and completion of the storing process.
- Click Finish.
- Once the task has been finished, the project manager receives a notification about the completion of the task.
ow that the task has been finished, it will no longer appear in the list of pending tasks in the My Tasks module.Tip
To display finished tasks, activate the checkbox Display finished tasks at the bottom right. In this way, all tasks that you have already finished will be displayed.