Operating Mode of Across as Translation Memory System
The core function of a translation memory system (TM system), such as Across, consists of storing translations created by a translator in a database and proposing translations from the translation memory (TM) to the translator during his work.
A translation unit consists of a source language segment and its translation, the target language segment. Along with the linguistic data of a translation unit, additional information such as its creation date is usually stored.
Following the installation of a translation memory system, the translation memory is usually not filled, i.e. it does not yet contain any translation units.
- The translation memory can be filled with translation units in different ways:
- directly while translating by typing in the translations in the translation editor and storing them in the TM (which is usually done automatically)
- by importing translation memory data, e.g. from other Across installations, other CAT tools
- by aligning existing translations
- by entering translations directly in the Across component for managing and maintaining the TM