Configuring a DST for Word
The following instructions assume that a Word document is to be translated. This Word document contains sections that are not to be translated. The paragraphs with the paragraph style Addresses are not to be translated, as they merely contain instructions for the further processing of the Word document.
As the paragraphs set to this style do not contain any information that the translator needs for the translation, these paragraphs should not be visible to him, i.e. they should be hidden. In Across, this function is implemented by means of the format type hidden. In this way, the translation volume is reduced and the translator cannot do anything wrong in these paragraphs, e.g. by mistakenly translating these contents.
- Proceed as follows:
- Go to Tools > System Settings > >Document settings and select the format for which you want to customize the document settings template.
- Finally, go to the drop-down list and select the template you wish to customize.
- If you want to edit one of the pre-filled elements, select it and click Edit. Subsequently, you can determine how the element is to be processed and displayed in crossDesk.
- Use Load to load the document to be translated into the document settings template.
In this way, all styles contained in the document are written to the document settings template for quick and easy editing.Tip
Alternatively, you can manually add a new element to the template. To do this, click New and enter exactly the name of the style from the Word document.
- Select a style and click Edit.
- Under Type, determine how the style is to be processed and displayed.
As the paragraphs with this style are to be invisible to the translator, select Hidden.
- Click OK to save these settings.
- The customization of the document settings template for this example is finished.
Use the buttons Splitting Settings and Advanced to customize Word templates.
Now the document to be translated can be checked in to Across on the basis of the customized document settings template. For this purpose, select the customized document settings template in the respective dialog of the Project Wizard.
In crossDesk, the checked-in document appears as follows to the translator:
In line with the settings in the document settings template, the paragraph <AcrossFeatures1.htm> is not visible to the translator (for comparison, see the source document in Word below).
If you adapt the document settings template for a document that has already been checked in and want to apply the changed template to the document, all you need to do is update the unchanged document. Select the previously customized template as the template (not the Current document settings template option).