Exporting translation memories
The following instructions demonstrate how you can export crossTank entries in the TMX format. The crossTank Export Wizard assists you in exporting your existing crossTank database.
- Proceed as follows:
- Start the crossTank Export Wizard. You can start the wizard via the corresponding section on the crossTank Manager start page, via the icon in the toolbar, or via Tools > Export in the menu bar.
- Once the wizard has started, click Next.
- Select the TMX format as export format and click Next.
- You can use and combine various filters to narrow down or restrict the crossTank entries to be exported.
- Once you have made all the settings, click Next.
- Now you can determine the attribute values to be exported or not to be exported. In this way, you can systematically exclude individual attribute values from the export.
The crossTank entries in which these attribute values occur are exported nevertheless – but without these attribute values.
By default, all attribute values are exported. To exclude attribute values from the export, deactivate them in the drop-down lists.
- If you use crossGrid, you can use the icon in the Master Server column to select one or several Master Servers for which the attributes are to be displayed.
- Click Next.
- Select the source language of the crossTank entries to be exported and click Next.
- Enable the corresponding checkboxes to select the language combination for which you want to export the crossTank entries.
- Click Next.
- Decide whether you want to use the crossTank entries to be exported as backup or for exchange with other CAT tools.Tip
The TMX export for the exchange with other CAT tools corresponds to TMX version 1.4. The TMX backup, however, corresponds to TMX version 1.3 and contains further information and attributes pertaining to the stored database entries of your Across installation, which are needed for the correct mapping when re-importing the data. Therefore, the TMX backup file can often be considerably larger than the TMX files exported for exchange with other CAT tools.
- Enter a location and a name for the TMX file.
- Subsequently, determine whether the TMX file you want to export is to contain Rich Translation Memory information.
In this case, formatting data, inline elements, and other characters will also be exported.
By default, this option is enabled. However, if you want to import the exported TMX file to other CAT tools, it may be good to disable the option (e.g., for Trados Workbench prior to version 7.0).
- Additionally, you can determine whether the exported crossTank entries should contain context information.
In this case, every translation unit is exported together with the information on preceding and following segment.
- In addition, you can select whether crossTank usage history information is to be exported.
In this way, information on how often and when crossTank entries were used in a translation last time will be exported.
- Finally, you can click Save export settings to create a template with the file extension *.tmexport, which contains the settings you selected for the export.Tip
The use of export templates is possible for TMX exports via the crossAPI.
- Click Export to start the export of the TMX file.
The export of the crossTank entries begins.
- Upon completion of the export, click Finish.
- The requested crossTank entries have been successfully exported to the TMX file.