- The Across Language Server
- Across Standard Components
- Across Access Modes
- Installation Scenarios
- Installation of the Microsoft SQL Server
- Customer Product Key and Product Activation
- Across Server
- crossTerm Server
- crossTank Server
- crossVPN Server
- crossVPN Proxy
- crossAPI SI
- crossTerm Web
- Setting up Across Modes
- Generating crossGrid Certificates
- Creating Generic Softkeys
- Changing the Across Database User
- Defragmenting Database Files
- Running a Backup
- Automatic Client Update
- Windows Authentication
- Reference: Menus in crossAdmin
- crossTank Performance Counter
- SQL Server Optimization
- Integration in Other Programs
- Web-based Components with HTTPS
- E-Mail Transmission in Across
- Integration Into the Network
- Across Support and Across Services
- Across SDK
- The Toolbox: Useful Tools for Across
Across Clients in Windows Terminal Server/Citrix Environments
The Client of the Across Language Server can also be operated in Windows Terminal Server/Citrix environments. However, please note the following information:
Across Clients are installed and published according to the installation procedures of the respective platform.
If you use the Across.Client.msi file for the installation, you need to install the following components additionally:
- Microsoft .NET 4.7.1
- Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017 (x86)
- Microsoft XML 4.0
For performance reasons, we do not recommend installing the Across Language Server and Clients on the same Windows Terminal Server machine.
The log files of the Clients are stored in the directory of the respective user under Documents and Settings > user_name > Application Data > Across > log.
In the registry, user-specific Client data are stored under HKCU\Software\Across of the respective user.
Generally, to process the supported document formats, Across does not require the corresponding programs to be installed. However, the programs need to be installed for the following functions and processes:
- Installation of Microsoft Office: Checking in and out Word, PowerPoint and Excel documents and RTF and TXT documents and creating previews of them, performing the Office spell-check. When using Microsoft Office 2000, XP, or 2003, the installation of the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack is required.
The formats DOCX, PPTX, and XLSX can be checked in and out without Office being installed. However, a suitable Office version must be installed so you can generate previews and use the Office spell-checker.
- Installation of other programs: In order to create previews of other document formats, other corresponding programs must be installed (e.g. Adobe FrameMaker for displaying MIF documents).
The Across function Quick Translate is not available in Windows Terminal Server/Citrix environments.
The Across Server should not be deployed on a Terminal Server.
Automatic Update of Across Clients
If you use a Windows Terminal Server/Citrix environment, the Across Clients need to be updated manually, as the automatic update routine may encounter problems.
To install the Across Clients, please use the file Across.Client.msi from the Packages folder of the installation package (instead of Across.Setup.exe). Take care not to execute Across.Update.Client.msi – this file installs the service for auto-updates, which must not exist in Windows Terminal Server/Citrix environments.
You must ensure that the Across Client and Server are always at the same version level! Therefore, we recommend always updating Clients and Servers at the same time.
The technical support of Across Systems GmbH does not provide WTS/Citrix support. If necessary, please consult an expert.
As a general rule, the utilized hardware must be adequate. However, due to the large number of possible parameters, a classification is only possible to a limited extent.
Depending on the workload, the Across Client process consumes about 100 MB RAM or more per Client/user. Under normal operating conditions, a Terminal Server equipped with 4 GB RAM should be able to serve about 10-15 Clients/users. If more Client processes are active, more RAM must be allocated.
Use a modern multi-core CPU.
Please clarify any details concerning the hardware equipment with our support.