Machine translation (MT) systems can be seamlessly integrated in Across. At present, Across supports the following MT systems:
The following section explains the integration of machine translation in Across:
- Possible application scenarios of an MT integration in Across:
- Enhanced pre-translation
- Interactive access to the MT system from within crossDesk
- Preview of MT events in the Across language portal
- Basis for decisions concerning orders for professional translations
The use of the respective MT system is fully controlled by the Across user (normally the Across supervisor). The MT system(s) to be used can be selected separately for each project.
The way how the MT systems are to be used can also be defined in detail.
- It is possible to define that requests are to be sent to the MT systems only
- if there are no crossTank hits (above a defined match threshold) or
- if a sentence has no more than n words.
For further information, please consult your contact at Across Systems GmbH.
General information on Across services is available at www.across.net/en/services/.
- Especially with respect to:
- General advice on MT systems and their integration in Across
- Setup and training of MT systems (e.g. on the basis of Moses as license-free solution)
- the integration of other MT systems in Across
By connecting your Across installation to third-party machine translation systems, you can efficiently use and further process third-party contents in Across.
Across Systems does not accept any liability and/or does not provide any guarantee for the quality of these contents, any one-time or continuous third-party costs, and/or damage that could arise in connection with the use of this functionality and the use of third-party systems.
The access details for the third-party system are supplied by the respective manufacturer. Across does not provide any support for the procurement of the required access details.
Unexpected results can occur during the machine translation of source segments with a specific form or structure. In the worst case, the source segments might not be machine-translated.
Furthermore, machine translations that may not be reliable, e.g. that have inconsistent figures in the source and target-language segments, will not be inserted in the target text.
Machine Translation Availability
Please note the following information on the availability of machine translation to the various players who can be integrated in your translation workflows:
- crossGrid: Machine translation cannot be used on the Trusted Server side if the Master Server does not allow it.
- crossWAN: Offline Clients can use machine translation for pre-translation with the project settings of the Across Server.
- crossWeb: In crossWeb, machine translation can be used for pre-translation. Pre-translation on the fly does not support the use of machine translation. Therefore, the respective crossTank hits will be inserted when using Pre-translation on the fly, but not machine translation hits.
Integration of MT Systems into Translation Projects
A corresponding option in the project settings templates section of the system settings allows the integration of the MT systems in the projects.
You can define the MT system settings under Tools > System Settings > General > Machine Translation.
It is possible to define that requests are to be sent to the MT systems only·if there are no crossTank hits below a defined match threshold and if a sentence does not contain more than n words.
The machine pre-translation can be started automatically while setting up a project or manually by the Across user from crossDesk during the translation.