crossConnect for content systems
crossConnect for content systems has been created as an interchange link between Across and an arbitrary third-party product. crossConnect is implemented as a Windows Service. This service listens to either a local directory or a directory on an FTP server. If the service recognizes a new file in the directory it watches, the file will be optionally pre-processed, then checked in to Across. The service now monitors the progress of the file and automatically checks out the file on completion. The file is then post-processed - also optional - and then copied to the specified output directory.
- The third-party product saves the content that should be translated in Across to the input directory of the service. Beside the actual documents, a file called instruction.xml with the job configuration data is needed.
- crossConnect watches the input directory. When a new job is detected, the automation starts and crossConnect creates an Across project based on the defined parameters.
- crossConnect will automatically detect the finished projects in Across and create an output package with the translated document.
- The third-party product processes the results of the translation automatically or manually.
- The advantages of crossConnect are:
- crossConnect is the easiest and cheapest approach to implement a connector to Across.
- The loose coupling helps to detect errors and simplifies the support.
- It is possible to trigger the process manually, when necessary.
- The manufacturers of the third-party product need the package definition, but no system details about Across.
crossConnect is a standard component which is great when the standard functionality is sufficient for you. As soon as you need extensions, crossConnect is probably not the right choice.
The coupling is restricted to the exchange of packages. Requesting status information or intermediate results is not possible with crossConnect.
For advanced integration scenarios, it is recommended to use crossAPI SI for implementing a customized connector.